The manipulator system on the vehicle comprises of two torpedo launchers, two marker droppers, a grabber and a rotary arm. These manipulators are actuated through the use of Festo pneumatic components.
- 68 cubic inch carbon fiber Ninja paintball compressed air tank
- Air pressure regulated from 3000psi down to 100psi with a dual stage regulator system before being fed to the manipulators
A Festo quick exhaust valve, SE-¼, is connected between the pressure chamber and barrel.
Firing the torpedoes:
- Air supply to the pressure chamber is cut
- Almost immediate release of pressurized air from quick exhaust valves to barrel
- Rapid expansion of gas propels the torpedoes towards the target from their barrels.
- Markers designed with large fins and stainless steel tip to ensure fast and accurate trajectory
- Placed in a 3D printed holder
- When actuated, the piston of the cylinders will retract, releasing the markers from its holder.
- Each set of claws is actuated by a double-acting pneumatic cylinder
- 5/2 way solenoid valves control the flow of air into the cylinders to open the and close the claws
- Cylinders of both arms are connected in parallel to the same solenoid valve, both set of claws are activated in unison to maintain a two-point contact for stability.
Rotary Actuator: Festo DSM-16
- Responsible for the turning of the steering wheel double-acting rotary vane design
- Able to rotating up to 270 degrees in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions
- 5/2 way solenoid valves are also used to control the flow of air for rotation
- Can be retracted into the vehicle by a pneumatic linear actuator
- Prevents field of vision from potential blockage